Safe Medication Management Course Online (Awareness Training)
Welcome to the Safe Medication Management course. This course has been designed to provide you with some of the fundamentals of medication management, medication administration and medication calculations.
The aim of this course is to assist registered nurses and midwives, whose scope of practice includes medication administration, to demonstrate the essential knowledge and mathematical competencies of medication management.
Following completion of this course, you should be able to:
- understand your responsibilities regarding safe medication administration
- identify key risk points and risk reduction strategies in the medication administration process, and
- demonstrate accuracy when calculating medication dosages and intravenous flow and drip rates.
This course should take approximately 75 minutes to complete and will provide:
- definitions of key terms
- an overview of your professional, organisational and legal responsibilities when administering medications
- an overview of key risk points in the medication administration process
- strategies for reducing the risk of medication errors, and
- explanations and examples of how to calculate medication doses and intravenous (IV) flow and drip rates.
Relevance of course to national standards
NSQHS Standard 4 (Medication Safety)
This course assists clinicians’ understanding of selected aspects of the following Australian safety and quality standards:
- NSQHS Standards (2011) Standard 4 (Medication Safety)
- AACQA Aged Care Standards (2014) Standard 2 (Health and Personal Care), and
- National Standards for Mental Health Services (2010) Standard 2 (Safety) and Standard 10.5 (Treatment and Support).
Further details regarding how this course aligns with these standards can be obtained by clicking the link.
A Certificate of Completion is issued on successful completion of the course and you are required to get an 80% pass mark to be deemed as understanding the content. It is recommended that training is conducted every 2 years to stay refreshed.
Run time 75 minutes