OHS News — OHS News

Strong August winds claim two lives in NSW

Strong August winds claim two lives in NSW

SafeWork NSW has issued a timely reminder on August 16, 2017 to businesses to ensure workers and the community are safe when working in strong winds after one worker was killed and another seriously injured in separate incidents on building sites.  The first incident occurred at Talinda Street, Carlingford when a male worker suffered fatal injuries when a wall collapsed at the site, and the second incident occurred on Thomas Boulton Crescent, Kellyville when a wall fell on a worker, causing serious injuries.  According to SafeWork NSW executive director, Peter Dunphy businesses needed to consider all hazards when working in...

Read more →

Preventing end of queue collisions

Preventing end of queue collisions

Control of traffic around and through road works is a very high-risk activity on road construction sites, and it is critical that the safety of road workers and road users at these sites is adequately provided for. In July 2017, four people were killed and a road worker seriously injured in incidents at road works in NSW and QLD and as result the Department of Transport and Main Roads Queensland are calling on industry to do everything to minimise the end of queue risks. TMR’s MRTS02 – Provision for Traffic reflects a requirement for end of queue risk control measures, which chief...

Read more →

The hollow promise of construction-led jobs and growth

The hollow promise of construction-led jobs and growth

Any downturn in the construction industry could trigger job losses to a range of sectors that support the building industry, such as planning, project management, real estate and property services. This threat reveals the risk of relying on building and construction to sustain the economy.  Since before the global financial crisis, urban economies across the world have relied increasingly on the construction of housing, especially high rise urban apartments, to maintain economic activity.  Construction has boomed in Australia, especially in Melbourne and Sydney. Migration from overseas and interstate, as well as international student numbers, have so far maintained sufficient demand for city apartments...

Read more →

South Australia launches action plan for construction workers

South Australia launches action plan for construction workers

Apprentices and fall prevention is the key focus of an industry action plan released on August 10, 2017 and developed by the South Australian work health and safety regulator as part of a push to improve health and safety within the construction sector.  SafeWork SA highlights ten priority areas to improve workplace health and safety over the next two years, and The Construction Safety Action Plan Initiative aims to protect apprentices working on South Australian construction sites.  Acting executive director of SafeWork SA, Dini Soulio, said that, on average, work injury claims in the sector between 2013 and 2016 have...

Read more →

NSW government announces 10-point plan for fire safety

NSW government announces 10-point plan for fire safety

The Department of Fair Trading NSW has announced a wide-ranging fire safety package to be headed up by the state government.  Following in the wake of the Grenfell fire in London, where at least 80 people died, Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean said the 10 point plan was Australia’s most comprehensive response to the issues around London’s Grenfell Tower fire in June.  “Our priority is to put consumers first and keep them as safe as possible in their homes,” Kean said.  “We’ll do this by ensuring unsafe building products are taken off the shelves, buildings with cladding are identified...

Read more →